Posted Date: 2019-10-03
8455 CR 474
Clermont, FL 34711
This position operates a Jet Suction Dredge, Cutter-head Dredge or similar equipment to support the daily functions of the mine. Inspects equipment and performs preventative maintenance as needed. Assists other workers in maintaining or replacing equipment. Performs a variety of skilled and semi- skilled tasks as directed by the mine manager. May be required to perform dredge operation and/or maintenance at other mine locations. Employee will most likely be required to work long extended hours, shift work (days, afternoons, or nights), and weekend shifts, as required. This position will also perform a variety of skilled and semi-skilled tasks as directed by the immediate supervisor. Note: This is a Night Shift position.
- Actively promote E.R. Jahna’s Core Values of Safety, People, Quality, Delivery and Cost.
- Responsible for the safe daily operation of the Jet Suction or Cutter-head Dredge and related equipment.
- Maintain constant communication.
- Monitor equipment operation to maximize productivity and ensure quality products are being produced.
- Insures proper operation of all dredge related equipment.
- Performs routine inspections and assists in preventative maintenance on dredge related equipment and reports defects or needed repairs to immediate supervisor.
- Performs all duties in conformance with appropriate safety, environmental and security standards.
- Ability to work with a minimum of supervision or under the direction of a supervisor.
Qualifications and Educational Requirements:
- High School Graduate or GED equivalent
- Trade or Technical schooling a plus
- Two (2) years of experience relating to operation of a suction or cutter-head dredge preferred
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience
- Welding and torch cutting skills a plus
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Individual must possess knowledge, skills, and abilities or be able to demonstrate that the individual can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodations, using some combination of skills and abilities.
Minimum knowledge, skills and abilities are:
1. Become familiar with assigned equipment and recognize potential maintenance problems by sight and sound and inform supervisory personnel.
2. Ability to maintain a safe, clean and organized work environment.
3. Ability to learn and perform correct dredging and/or mining procedures.
4. In a safe and efficient manner be able to operate a work boat with an outboard motor.
5. Operate controls and levers to hoist, drag and swing the cutter head or suction for efficient productivity of the dredge.
6. Ability to perform basic logging and documentation.
7. Ability to understand and carry out written and oral instruction.
8. Ability to speak English with others via two-way radio.
9. Basic mechanical knowledge to detect potential breakdown of equipment and preventative maintenance.
10. Ability to detect safety hazards and equipment malfunctions and respond accordingly.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
1. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and fingers to handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls. The employee is continually required to walk, sit, climb or balance, and occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, listen and smell.
2. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
3. Sits 80% and stands 20% intermittently throughout the shift to inspect, perform preventative maintenance and operate work boat to and from shore.
4. The employee most likely be required at times to work long extended hours, shift work (days, afternoons, or nights), and weekend shifts.
8 to 12+ hours per day
40 to 60+ hours per week, sometimes more
As time permits during shift, does not have break period designated as lunch time
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works inside the cab of the dredge, but at times works outside in adverse weather conditions. The employee frequently works near loud moving mechanical parts, frequently exposed to wet, hot and/or humid conditions, and exposed to vibration.
Dredge movement or wind blowing off the cleared property in front of the dredge can stir up dust frequently. Also, the employee continually works around water.
• Must be able to climb up and down a ladder up or stairways to height of 30 +/- feet.
• Must be able to lift and operate a 20 lb sledge hammer or various tools when changing teeth and adapters.
• Able to lift and carry 5-gallon oil and water containers weighing up to 40 to 50 pounds.
• Able to perform preventative maintenance including greasing, lubrication, and fueling.
• Must be able to work around water and safely be able to perform the duties while operating a dredge.
• Must be able to work under conditions of your clothing at times becoming wet, greasy, and muddy due to breakdowns. We will provide you a place to change clothes.
• Wear steel toe shoes, hard hat and safety glasses at all times
• Reflective safety vests are required at all times unless the employee is welding or cutting with a torch
• Life vest to be worn to and from the dredge and at various times on the dredge to prevent drowning
• Ear plugs/muffs and gloves are required at times
• Follow all safety guidelines throughout designated shift