Posted Date: 2020-03-26
Central Florida ,
This position operates a Jet Suction Dredge, Cutter-head Dredge or similar equipment to support the daily functions of the Dredging Project. Inspects equipment and performs preventative maintenance as needed. Assists other workers in maintaining or replacing equipment. Also, performs a variety of skilled and semi-skilled tasks as directed by the supervisor. May be required to perform dredge operation and/or maintenance at other locations. This position will also perform a variety of skilled and semi-skilled tasks as directed by the immediate supervisor. Employee will most likely be required to work long extended hours, shift work (days, afternoons or nights), and weekend shifts, as required. Must be willing to travel.
- High School Graduate or GED equivalent
- Trade or Technical schooling a plus
- Two (2) years of experience relating to operation of a suction or cutter-head dredge a plus
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience
- Welding and torch cutting skills a plus
- Actively promote E.R. Jahna’s Core Values of Safety, People, Quality, Delivery and Cost.
- Responsible for the safe daily operation of the Dredge, Booster Pumps, Pipeline and related equipment.
- Maintain constant communication.
- Insure proper operation of all dredge related equipment including dredge discharge.
- Perform routine inspections and assist in preventative maintenance on dredge related equipment and reports defects or needed repairs to the Supervisor.
- Complete all workplace examination and equipment checklists.
- Performs all duties in conformance with appropriate safety, environmental and security standards.
- Start and stop associated dredge equipment at the direction of the lead person or project manager.
- Maintain good housekeeping practices.
- Make sure dredge and associated equipment has adequate supply of tools, fire extinguishers, first aid supplies and safety equipment.
- Assist with moving procedures of the dredge, pipeline and related equipment.
- In a safe and efficient manner be able to operate a workboat with an outboard motor.
- Meet all production standards to perform the job safely and efficiently.
- Be able to safely perform refueling operations.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Have a mechanical aptitude.
• Be capable of working in all weather conditions.
• Ability to speak English with others via two-way radio.
• Ability to understand and carry out written and oral instruction.
• Basic mechanical knowledge to detect potential breakdown of equipment.
• Ability to detect safety hazards and equipment malfunctions and respond accordingly.
• Be familiar with and obey all company working practices and Federal Safety Regulations.
• Ability to work with a minimum of supervision.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and fingers to handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls. The employee is continually required to walk, sit, climb or balance, and occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, listen and smell.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Sits, climbs and stands intermittently throughout the shift to inspect, perform preventative maintenance and operate workboat.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works outside in a work boat and at times works outside in adverse weather conditions. The employee frequently works near loud moving mechanical parts, frequently exposed to wet, hot and/or humid conditions, and exposed to vibration.
Dredge movement or wind blowing off the cleared property in front of the dredge can stir up dust frequently. Also, the employee continually works around water.
Employees must follow all safety guidelines throughout designated shift. Must wear minimum 6″ steel toe boots, safety vest, eye protection, hard hat and additional PPE as required.
Schedule: Employee will most likely be required to work long extended hours, shift work (days, afternoons, or nights), and weekend shifts, as required.
Lunch/breaks: As time permits during shift, does not have a designated break time during shift.