Posted Date: 2020-02-11
202 E. Stuart Avenue
Lake Wales, FL 33853
The Manager will be responsible for the Jahna Prospecting and Land Management Departments, as well as assisting in specific Environmental compliance and monitoring activities. The position involves assisting in the identification and evaluation of potential sand mining properties through drilling, sample collection, laboratory testing, data analyses, and geological / geographical database management. The Manager will provide mine operations support in tracking mine advancement and mine recovery through regular drone surveillance and pit depth measurement. The position will also manage and coordinate of a variety of earth-moving, clearing, and land preparation activities, both in-house and subcontracted, associated with Jahna’s mining operations. The Manager will assist the VP in certain Environmental permit compliance activities including regular field audits of mining operations, assisting in management of registered fuel storage tanks, renewal of certain permits / licenses, and hydrologic monitoring / reporting. Responsibilities for this position will include overall Safety, management, and hands-on work with the prospecting field manager and crew, and additional employees when needed, to perform mobile prospect drilling projects, detailed logging of sand / soil characteristics, information distribution to mine operations, mine planning, quality control of soils testing data, recordkeeping, prospecting budgets and cost tracking, equipment maintenance, and housekeeping.
- Minimum of 5 years of supervisory experience and project management.
- Minimum 4 – 7 years mining industry related experience, preferably in sand mining, drilling operations, or land management / construction activities.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Geology, Mining Engineering, Civil / Geotechnical Engineering or related Environmental Science degree may substitute for 4 years of mining industry experience.
- Demonstrated leadership and management abilities to manage and motivate employees.
- Possession of strong computer skills utilizing Microsoft / Powerpoint applications, GIS mapping software, spreadsheet manipulation, Kronos time keeping.
- Must have a valid Florida Driver’s license and a clean driving record.
- Must be organized, dedicated, and possess excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to interpret drill data, perform detailed analyses, and present findings and conclusions to Mine Management.
- Ability to plan, coordinate, design, and manage a variety of earth moving projects including building of roads, berm, swales, and overburden storage areas.
- Ability to professionally interface in person and in writing with property owners, and coordinate Prospect Agreements and Field access to prospect locations.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Actively promote Jahna’s values and standards of Safety, People, Quality, Delivery and Cost.
• Be knowledgeable and proficient in the duties of each department employee.
• Maintain a safe working environment, safe working practices and ensure all safety notification & reporting processes are in place.
• Communicate with Area Managers, Mine Managers and other necessary Management Team Members regarding Environmental audits, Land Management projects, and Prospecting activities.
• Prepare reports and maps for Management team.
• Provide coaching, motivation, leadership and support to Prospect personnel to ensure the development of a high performance team.
• Manage personnel issues to include training, development, and morale.
• Schedule employees and maintain their time records in Kronos.
• Assist the HR department in recruiting, hiring and training as needed.
• Provide leadership for your team and resolve any workplace issues.
• Conduct annual Employee Performance Reviews that include an evaluation of employee pay increases.
• Ability to work with all levels of the workforce (Hourly, Mine Management and Senior Corporate Management) to achieve organizational goals.
• Communicate with Mining staff and QC staff to support the short-term and long-term mine plans.
• Coordinate with Safety Manager to meet all MSHA safety performance and reporting requirements for Jahna Prospecting and Land Management projects.
• Work ethically, practice good business judgment, and conform to all state and federal laws as well as follow and enforce all of Jahna’s standards and policies.
This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. This position will require on site attendance at all company mining facilities and properties as well as potential mining sites, which are in an outdoor environment.
This position will require traveling in a company vehicle. Out-of-the-area and overnight travel will be expected.
This position will work with and report to the VP of Environmental and Geological Services.