Posted Date: 2019-09-05
4949 Sand Mine Rd
Davenport, FL 33897
The ability to operate all mobile equipment in a mining environment. The Utility Operator must also be capable of running the Plant, Dredge and Scale House as needed. This job interfaces, on a daily basis, with the rest of the operations in this location. Also, performs a variety of skilled and semi-skilled tasks as directed by your supervisor. This position may be required to travel to other locations as needed. Note: This is a Night Shift position.
- Actively promote E.R. Jahna’s Standards of Safety, People, Quality, Delivery and Cost.
- Responsible for the safe daily operation of all mobile and related equipment.
- Maintain constant radio or phone contact with the mine manager/lead person to monitor loading equipment operation and to maximize loading productivity & efficiency.
- Performs routine inspection and assists in preventative maintenance on light or heavy mobile related equipment and refers & documents defects or needed repairs to mine manager/lead person.
- Performs all duties in conformance with appropriate safety, environmental and security standards.
- Fill out forms to report mechanical problems to mine manager or lead person.
- Fuel, clean and maintain the heavy mobile equipment.
- Make or assist in heavy mobile equipment repairs as needed.
- Maintain qualifications to operate equipment.
- Refresher training may be necessary, if needed.
- Must have an interest in being cross trained to operate all fixed and mine equipment.
- Must complete MSHA Part 46 training course.
QUALIFICATIONS & EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
- High school graduate or GED equivalent
- Five (5+) plus years of experience relating to the operation of heavy mobile equipment is preferred
- Military, Trade or Technical schooling related to heavy equipment operation a plus
- Preventative Maintenance and “hands on” work experience
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to carry out simple oral and written instructions and deal with simple problems.
• Ability to perform basic computer functions and use loader bucket scale.
• Ability to read English sufficiently to be able to read information contained in manuals, regulations, and reports, including Safety issues and related matters.
• Ability to speak English and communicate with others via a two-way radio.
• Basic English language skills for completion of various paperwork such as pre-shift inspection forms.
• Ability to detect safety hazards and equipment malfunctions and respond accordingly.
• Basic mechanical knowledge to detect potential breakdown of equipment.
• High level of attentiveness and physical coordination to operate heavy mobile equipment safely and productively in heavy traffic areas.
• Ability to use operator’s manual.
• Must be alert and coordinated while operating heavy mobile equipment.
• Must be able to operate a high pressure hose during clean up.
• May have to perform the other tasks including laborer’s work (shoveling, hosing, greasing, etc.) when required.
• Will be required to climb in and out of equipment as needed.
• Lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling and/or moving 50 pounds maximum, with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing up to 25 pounds.
Other Ergonomic Requirements:
The position is a physical demanding job. The functions performed ordinarily involve: extending hands and arms in all directions, holding, grasping, turning objects using hands, picking, or otherwise working with fingers, perceiving size, shape, temperature or texture of objects through contact with the skin, primarily fingers. Involves climbing on ladders. Performance of some tests or operation of equipment may require motor coordination, finger dexterity, eye-hand-foot coordination and color differentiation.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works outside in adverse weather conditions. The employee frequently works near loud moving mechanical parts, frequently exposed to wet, hot and/or humid conditions, and exposed to vibration.
Employees must follow all safety guidelines throughout designated shift. Must wear minimum 6″ steel toe boots, safety vest, eye protection, hard hat and additional PPE as required.